it's just a choice

"Natural Selection"

"We can no longer build serially, block-by-block, step-by-step" (McLuhan 63).

That's like a kind of "natural selection" to me. Selection by the majority of people.

Majority of people did not enjoy climbing up stairs everyday, so we had elevators.

Majority of people preferred faster/instant communication, so we had emails.

Majority of people enjoyed the "endless scrolling" feature on apps, so we had Tiktok.

So is it "we can no longer build step-by-step", or is it that the majority of people "didn't want to build step-by-step"?

"Personal Selection"

I think we can still build step-by-step in this world of allatonceness if we want to. It's just harder.

Like every "personal selection" that is different from "natural selection", it takes extra work to stick with them.

13-year-old iPod vs. iPhone 13 with Apple Music

Manual Transmission vs. Automatic Transmission

Vintage muscle car vs. Toyota Corolla

Manually searching for videos vs. having the algorithm feed tailored recommended videos to you

and the list goes on...

There's no superior choice.

There's only your choice.


Comments

  1. i tried this out but it didn't work, my iPod won't even turn on, i guess i will just have to settle with listening to my dead dog who is a ghost and won't stop screaming. Coincidentally i named him Spotify.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey gave! Somehow I couldn't reply to the comment you replied to me under your post, just wanna let you know that I was in awe reading that comment realizing my guess was right that it was indeed stop motion. The smoothness of the camera movement is unreal to me. I'm blown away

      Delete
    2. and the Spotify one lol that's a good one hahah

      Delete
  2. I love your commitment to this classic YouTube tutorial video set up. It feels so natural and real even though you fully intentionally designed it to be this way and to have your friend come in. The end result is an excellent commentary on the history, past, present, and future of the internet through one of its primary mediums, the YouTube video. It makes me think about how I consume my music on Spotify now, and remember the magic of when my dad would download iTunes songs onto my iPod shuffle like 12 years ago. I wonder how much of the magic is lost when everything is effortlessly at our fingertips like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJ! Glad I was able to get the message across : ) I really get what you are saying about "the magic". I wondered the same thing too! (that was actually part of the reason I started using my ipod again after a few years of spotify)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts