Discography

On-going Projects  


Classical/Metal/Blues - Live S**t | Started Nov. 23'


Demo, everything played live

My first guitar-heavy piece, work in progress : )


Feature Film - Say Thanks | Started Aug. 23'


An early demo

An interesting challenge -- the goal is to have something jazzy we'd hear in a lounge, and this jazzy stuff needs to smoothly lead up to Fly Me to the Moon
 


Jazz/Pop/Whatever - 夜路 Walkin' Into the Night | Started Feb. 23'


An early demo

 

Piano Concerto / Fantasia - 交想曲第一号 Symagination No. 1 | Started Nov. 22'


An early demo

Came up with the motif back in 2020, and 90% of the composition plus the production was completed in about 5 days in the November of 2022 – with 2 days of recording the piano and 3 days of adding in the rest of the instruments in the DAW. This was my first time writing and producing something like this. Learned a ton in the process and it was super fun too.
 



Past Projects

 

Feature Film - 鱼生 The Life of A Fish | Oct. 23'

Scored sequence, see full version here
 


Feature Film - 无声呼唤 Cris Silencieux | Sep. 23'


Scored sequence, see full version here
 
 

Feature Film - 头七 7th Night | Project Cancelled Sep. 23'


A compilation of demos we did

 

Game Commercial - 光遇 Sky: Children of the Light | July. 23'


(commercial's not released yet)



(Pre-Hsolcont. Studios) Past Projects

Senior Capstone Short Film - The Earth | May 23'


First draft, based on my interpretation

My friend Sally's senior capstone short film. Initially I had very different understanding of the subject (environmental pollution) compare to Sally's -- it took us quite some time communicating back and forth, but eventually we were able to deliver a final version of the music in time that works for her liking.


The Earth, Festival Cut

 

Short Film - Pawffee Shop | Nov. 22'


c'mon man, who doesn't like cute cat stuff?  : D
 

My friend Sally was asked to shoot a short film specifically with smartphones, as part of her grad school application. There wasn't much time, but she thought it’d still be nice to have some kind of original music for it. Running tight on time, I came up with the soundtrack in two hours. And despite it being kind of raw, I do think it sort of captured the elements in the film, aka the cats.

 

Part of a theme song |  Sep. 22'


Part of a theme song that was written for the short film Gates of Citadel (which is likely cancelled due to budget-related issues?..)

Quoting my old self from early 2022: "I'm extremely excited about this project because this short film has a very different tone compare to the previous two documentaries I did, and I got to further discover what I can do as a film composer – I truly believe in my "chameleon-ness" as a musician as I do love and have spent a lot of time working on very different kinds of music. This was also the first time for me to work with my singer friends Jin and Michael."


Senior Capstone Animated Documentary - My World with You in It | May 22'


My World with You in It

This was my second attempt at scoring a documentary and producing the soundtrack. The director is my friend Jamie, and this was her graduation capstone project. It was about being lost in life as a senior in college.

This was the first time I got to work with a director in person (with the first one being all online communication), and I discovered my ability to accurately capture the emotion the director wants to express through the music – it was quite an amazing experience for both of us. My ability of making use of virtual classical instruments was growing quickly, but due to the short time frame (about 2 days) and the simple style of music the director wanted, I mostly improvised with a piano plugin and just laid things on top of it.

 

Documentary - Fishing in Shanwei | Dec. 21'


Fishing in Shanwei

This was my first attempt at scoring a documentary and producing the soundtrack. The director went into the ocean for an entire week to film this documentary about the life of a group of fishermen in southern China.


The process of scoring the documentary went pretty well and turned out the way the director wanted it to be. However the music production part didn't went so well due to limited time and my lack of experience. The soundtrack was purely generated from the score I made, which sounds very synth-ish.

 

Hsolcont. Studios is run by Roger Gwall and Jin Han 😸

Comments

Popular Posts