Saying Hi and Talking About Music

Me and my world

I was born and raised in southern China. As a kid I spent most of my time on the piano, robotics stuff, skateboarding, rolling around on the floor like all kids do, and just school stuff. When it came the time for me to choose a college in China vs. a college in the states, I thought it'd be cool to spend 4 years in the country where skateboarding was invented, so I came to Lawrence. 

Filming Aloha!! Hangzhou!! , Summer 2016
Hangzhou, China


Growing up, my will-later-be-a-career thing has always been robotics programming, which later turned into physics.

                                          FIRST Robotics Competition 2017 Season ↑

                                                               FIRST Robotics Competition 2018 Season →

                                                                                         9-year-old me on the piano ↓

Even though I've been spending plenty time on the piano since I was 4, music has always been just something I purely enjoy and love (from the bottom of my heart) -- it's been a "home" to me even before I can remember things. I get it when McLuhan said "You can't go home again" (McLuhan 13), but I'm blessed to always have had a "home" to go called music.

Fast forward to 2021 -- I was on my way to live up to my childhood dream: becoming a theoretical physicist and perhaps one day help building anti-matter powered starships. (I still love Star Trek though) Well, one day the Chinese and the U.S. government decided to start a trade war -- as a Chinese STEM major student, I was being called a potential "intellectual property thief". I mean I get it that there's crazy stuff going on between the governments so I didn't really take it personally, but I knew that I have to reconsider my future: I wanted my career to have as little to do with politics as possible.

Well, what else can I do?

"You've spent basically your entire life doing music, why not something like film / video game composer?" Said my guitar professor, "I mean I've heard your stuff, I can totally see you doing well writing music!"

Thanks to the support from my guitar professor, my family, and my friends, I'm currently on this seemingly crazy, supposedly hard, but fun journey.

Scoring a horror short film at home, Summer 2022
Shenzhen, China

What I want to say as an artist

I figured I'd share my two cents on what, to me, is considered "good" music.

To me, "good" music is the right music. By right music I mean the music that gives people the feeling they crave for; the music that suits a movie scene so well that it becomes one of the things that makes the movie scene great; the music that suits a video game so well that it still lives in my head rent free til this day; in general, it's all about the context, how the audience feel about it, and if they relate to the music.

scene "Miller's Planet" from the movie Interstellar

 

Dungeon and Fighter, Boss Fight Theme @2:45

Comments

  1. It's a nice photo for the post cover! I felt the same way as you mentioned "you can't go home again", and specially for who study aboard far away from home, this quote may sound more real. But, indeed, music embrace everyone in many ways and include us in a new "home".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like what you said about good music being the "right" music for the context of a scene in a movie or a video game. Music is also super important to me as a pianist myself. One of my favorite movies is "Inception" and it's my favorite mainly because of the soundtrack, which is also by Hans Zimmer just like the example you used from "Interstellar." Overall great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you do so many things! i'm a violin perf and music comp major here so i can relate to the music stuff. that's kind of a nasty situation with the trade war thing though, but i'm sure you'd be able to apply your passion for physics and programming into your career somehow

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts